As a teacher, I love to use literature in my classroom as often as possible. This week we read a book about George Washington that chronicled the dental problems he is known to have faced throughout his life in a humorous rhyme.

I always love to start off a lesson with a hook that will grab the attention of my little charges. Since the week started off with George Washington's birthday, I decided to blacken in some of my teeth as I read this tail of George Washington and his tooth troubles. The children giggled with delight as I began to read and gave me their full attention. 

Parents of a student I had last year suddenly appeared at the door to show off their new baby. I was so surprised and excited to see them that I jumped up, ran over to the door and threw out my arms to envelope them in a big hug. Unfortunately, I forgot about my own teeth. If you could have seen the look of horror on that poor Dad's face when I greeted him with a big smile. It grabbed everybody's attention....no doubt about it. Maybe next year I should consider a more subdued hook?

6 comments

  1. Roban // February 17, 2010 at 7:39 PM  

    I'm so glad you stopped by my blog.... I've read several of your recent posts and was reminded that "who" we teach is as important as "what" we teach, if not more so. I tend to focus, focus, focus on what I need to get done and probably don't spend enough time getting to know my students. Thanks for the nudge!

    The story about the little girl who was so withdrawn tugged at my heart. We definitely don't know what goes on in our students' homes, and I know that for some school is the safest, warmest, most welcoming place they could be.

  2. Castles Crowns and Cottages // February 17, 2010 at 7:43 PM  

    Oh you are soooo kind to visit me again and offer your help. We are going to be going through a re-configuration of our school model and the French immersion my be scaled back a bit due to cuts....I will keep you posted on what I may need. For now dear friend, I am feeling a little burnt out. I have a class this year that is taking so much of my energy. Perhaps I can come back to discuss this, but for now, I must go feed my family and I thank you for your kindness!!!

    Anita

  3. Joanne // February 17, 2010 at 7:58 PM  

    I love the way you blackened your teeth, to effectively bring the story to life for your students. I'm sure you had them intrigued to hear the rest of the story (George's!) It seems the more we engage the students, the more they're open to learning.

  4. VKT // February 17, 2010 at 8:43 PM  

    Thanks for your comments Roban, Anita and Joanne!

    Joanne, I couldn't agree with you more....I want my students to get excited about learning!

  5. Terri // February 18, 2010 at 10:30 AM  

    How funny! My sister-in-law is a k4 teacher. I think the two of you would get along great! She is creative like you!

  6. VKT // March 6, 2010 at 8:33 PM  

    I would love to meet her Terri!