If you read my blog, you will know that I was recently given a Versatile blogging award. Today, since I am posting about something that is not directly related to teaching,  you will see why Robin at Your Daily Dose thinks that at times my blog may be a bit versatile.

I am certain that you all have heard the phrase random acts of kindness. I am referring to small acts that any of us can do that can have a great effect on others. Let me give you a prime example. I have three blogging friends who  recently exemplified  practicing this "pay it forward" or "random acts of kindness" attitude. ~J at Boobies, Babies and a Blog, Shell at Things I Can't Say, Tree at Mother Of Pearl and many other blogging buddies have been blogging about a precious baby girl whose parents recently learned that she has cancer. Can you even imagine the horror and fear those parents must have experienced when they learned that their little Monkey was going to be fighting a battle against this awful disease.

How does this relate to my blogging buddies ~J and Shell you ask? Let me explain it to you. They have joined up with other bloggers to try to raise money for little Monkey. Her story can be found on her sweet mother Michelle's blog at Momma's Pixie Dreams. ~J and Shell asked the women who sponsored Friday Follow to assist by participating in a raffle to help raise money. Go to ~J's blog Boobies, Babies and a Blog or to Shell's Things I Can't Say  to read about this. They asked other bloggers to consider giving an amount without specifying how much.  Their purpose was strictly to help this small baby.

Their actions bring to mind for me a quote by Albert Schweitzer who said "I don't know what your destiny will be, but one thing I know: the only ones among you who will be really happy are those who have sought and found how to serve." What I feel these women are trying to do is to put a "reverence for life" into practice in their lives in order to alleviate the suffering of a small child. In their quiet, unassuming way, they are working for a better world.

I recently overheard a woman in line at the grocery store tell the cashier that she didn't want to donate $1.00 to The March Of Dimes because nobody ever does anything for her but her. How sad this world would be if we all had that attitude. Random acts of kindness are just one way for us to serve others. We don't do them to accrue a "payback" but for the inner peace and joy that we ourselves gain by grounding ourselves in spirituality. In each of us lies the opportunity to work in some quiet, yet unassuming way to make our world a better place for all of us. As a Christian, I feel that God wants me to see Christ in all of us whether it be a child with cancer or an adult like my precious blogging buddy Teresa at Too Many Heartbeats who is  dealing with a very rare and debilitating illness called Dysautonomia/POTS. Just think about how much it would mean to Teresa to get a comment on her blog telling her you are thinking of her or praying for her.


If you hold a  pencil between  your hands, it will snap in two with very little pressure. But, if you take a large number of pencils between your hands, it is impossible for most of us to break them. Can you see the analogy to helping  fight against a dreaded disease, helping to feed the poor, or assisting those who have lost everything in a flood. 


God can use each of us to help others who are suffering. My prayer for each of you is that you will find your own small way to become a healing difference in our hurting world.


So let us not become tired of doing good.
Galatians 6:9-10

29 comments

  1. Tree // May 16, 2010 at 5:41 PM  

    Beautifully written...once again, kudos to you, sweet lady!! :) It just pains me to no end when I see people only thinking of themselves. How could someone NOT help this sweet little baby, or a little old lady, or a dirty, scruffy homeless man? They all need help, and it's our job to reach out to them in any way that we can. Speaking to the lady in the grocery store (oh how I wish I could tell her this), maybe she DOESN'T receive anything because she doesn't give of herself FIRST!!

  2. Stephanie // May 16, 2010 at 5:51 PM  

    Oh that comment! That must be one sad,self centered person not willing to give b/c no one had ever done anything for her. Too bad she just wouldn't reach out and see how good it is to help! The reward is in the helping.
    Great post.

  3. Oka // May 16, 2010 at 6:32 PM  

    I love to do nice things for others for no other reason than I like the feeling I get from it. I love to watch others responses to RAK, even though they are not always positive.

    Mission Monkey is an awesome cause that I am taking part in. I have to admit I am being somewhat selfish in this cause though. Part of me thinks, I would hope others would do this for my family if I were in a similar situation.

  4. Anonymous // May 16, 2010 at 6:34 PM  

    This is a BEAUTIFULLY written post, as always! Thank you so much for sharing the word about Mission Monkey!

    The Albert Schweitzer quote is amazing. I've never heard it before today.

    I didn't even have to think twice about doing my part to help Monkey..she could be my daughter..any of our daughters. I want to watch her beat this & am so happy to see all the love fellow bloggers are showing for her!

    XOXO Pam--you're amazing!

  5. He & Me + 3 // May 16, 2010 at 7:09 PM  

    Great post. I am praying for their family. It is so so horrible that any family should have to go through that.

  6. Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com // May 16, 2010 at 7:09 PM  

    You are an angel. Thanks for the tip on your blog buddy. I just joined her following.
    xoRobyn

  7. Bernie // May 16, 2010 at 7:46 PM  

    Am on my way over to read her story and yes it is an honor to help those in need. I think that lady was so bitter as she has been very hurt sometime in her life, we need to pray for her......:-) Hugs

  8. Cheeseboy // May 16, 2010 at 9:42 PM  

    So very sweet of you. I have joined the crusade. I feel for this family and wish them the best.

  9. Andrea // May 16, 2010 at 11:32 PM  

    Just wanted to let you know I was thinking about you and praying for you.
    Blessings, andrea

  10. Anonymous // May 17, 2010 at 1:03 AM  

    Hello! how are you? those blog buddies of you are great for doing something selfless....
    these days it's hard to meet people who has the capacity to help others without thinking that they'll get something in return for the effort they exerted. Even a friend you have been with for a long time may surprised you that she only helped you out coz she wants something in return from you, and when she doesnt get what she wants then she would tell you, how could you when I helped you with this and that? if we must help we should always not expect any "payback"

  11. Ms. A // May 17, 2010 at 4:54 AM  

    Full of prayers and support for Michelle, Monkey and her entire family. Will check out Teresa.

  12. Michelle Pixie // May 17, 2010 at 9:27 AM  

    Thank you! XOXOXO

  13. Crystal // May 17, 2010 at 9:31 AM  

    Great Post!! What a sad person that woman at the grocery store must be - I am really not sure how I would have reacted to that if it happened in front of me - I guess she is in real need of some prayer.

    Will pray for Monkey!!

  14. One Photo // May 17, 2010 at 9:51 AM  

    I have been reading all over the blogosphere about this poor little girl and my heart goes out to her and her family, so kudos indeed to you for writing about this today and reminding us all that we can all do our bit. If all of us do just a little bit to help others then that all adds up to one great big bit of help for the world.

  15. Robyn Jones // May 17, 2010 at 10:37 AM  

    Well written...I hope I never have to go through anything like that...not sure I am strong enough.. :( Prayers for Michelle and her family...
    I also have an award for you...

  16. Cheryl // May 17, 2010 at 10:39 AM  

    I've wondered what this was since I've begun seeing the button all over the place. Thanks for sharing about this. Excellently written.

    My sister has dysautonomia/POTS so I'll be visiting both women today.

  17. Marlene // May 17, 2010 at 11:18 AM  

    Beautifully written. I have been following Monkey's story. Helping others should come naturally to all of us.

  18. Susan Fields // May 17, 2010 at 12:40 PM  

    What a beautiful post! Thank you for bringing this to our attention. This reminds me of Bin from a desperate, reluctant housewife who took in a cat (Lucky) that had been badly mistreated and is getting him seriously needed medical attention, and Old Kitty who gives us Lucky updates on her blog Ten Lives and Second Chances. It's so wonderful to see people using their blogs to help others.

  19. Theresa Milstein // May 17, 2010 at 9:14 PM  

    Hearing the woman not wanting to give $1 to that cause makes me sad. I speak with my children about how lucky we are and how important it is to give back.

    Your story of blogging buddies coming together to help out is heart-warming.

    When a fellow-blogger, Anissa, a mother had a stroke, a fund was set up for her. And when a cat was found that had been tortured, my blogging friend, Old Kitty provided a link to help the new owner pay all the medical bills. And now Absolute Write is getting donations from agents and writers to be part of an auction to raise money for Tennessee flood victims.

    We should never think our donation is too small or that we don't need to help.

  20. Teresa @ ♥ Too Many Heartbeats ♥ // May 19, 2010 at 3:50 PM  

    You are such an amazing, sweet, sweet friend and I love you, my precious sister in Christ! Thank you so much for showing me unconditional love through your random acts of kindness (several times over I might add), even though we got off to a rocky start at the beginning of our friendship. :0)

    You are truly storing up treasures in Heaven.

    {{HUGS}}

    Teresa <><

  21. VKT // May 28, 2010 at 11:08 PM  

    The lady in the grocery store is the very one who wouldn't understand why no one does anything for her I would imagine that is because she is so narcissistic.

  22. VKT // May 28, 2010 at 11:08 PM  

    Modern Mom,

    I couldn't agree more. It always makes me feel so good to help others.

  23. VKT // May 28, 2010 at 11:10 PM  

    Dear Oka,

    I agree.....it really makes me feel good inside to think I have been helpful to a person less fortunate....or simply by a random act of kindness.

  24. VKT // May 28, 2010 at 11:10 PM  

    Robyn,

    That is terrific!

  25. VKT // May 28, 2010 at 11:11 PM  

    Dear ~J,

    You are a very selfless person. God is smiling down on you from heaven sweet lady.

  26. VKT // May 28, 2010 at 11:12 PM  

    He and Me,

    I agree. Prayer can make a difference though!

  27. VKT // May 28, 2010 at 11:13 PM  

    I agree Bernie! If anyone can change her heart, God can.

  28. VKT // May 28, 2010 at 11:13 PM  

    Glad to hear it Cheeseboy! I know the family appreciates your support.

  29. VKT // May 28, 2010 at 11:14 PM  

    Thanks Andrea,

    You are on my prayer list as well sweet lady.