Today as I drove to work, I saw a sea of yellow pollen dust an inch thick covering everything from the cars on the road to the sidewalks. Yuck! That spells allergy time for me and a number of my students. Bless their little hearts, many came in today with red and swollen eyes. To make matters worse, it was around 92 degrees outside. At least the humidity hasn't set in yet. As I pulled in to park, I saw where someone had drawn the following on the back windshield of a car through the pollen: Who cares if everything is yellow? The sky is blue! Now that's a positive attitude if I ever saw one.

Once inside, I got settled and looked over my plans. Thinking I had time to run to the restroom before the morning bell rang, I ducked into the bathroom I share with the other kindergarten class. As I came back into the classroom, I saw the other kindergarten teacher doubled over with laughter. The bell had rung and the children were asking where I was. She told them I had gone to join the circus. One little girl responded "No she didn't. She's too old for that! She's 60!  I am not 60........yet! I have four years to go. I am going to have to start using wrinkle cream I guess...sigh.

 Later, as I was walking the children outside for recess, one little boy noticed an outside window that looked like it had been sprayed with mud mixed with pollen. He got all excited and hollered for the other children to come quick. He said "Some giant bird put bird poop all over this window! Come look!" In a minute they were all abuzz about a giant bird that was hovering over our school somewhere. All my students looked a little disappointed when I told them that instead of a bird, it was most likely a blower. It probably happened on the one rainy day when workmen were cleaning up around some construction going on near our building. I heard another child say as we continued walking "Well, it could have been a giant bird! You never know!"

The day pressed on and I had a parent volunteer come in today to help with a writing project we do each month. It is called The Wonder Year. There is a page for each month of the school year where the child can write a sentence and then I put pictures in it so the child will have a memento of his or her kindergarten year. As the parent was helping one child write a sentence in his book, I overheard her ask him " You said it two ways. Which would you prefer to write? Do you want to write "I hunted for eggs at the egg hunt" or "I looked for eggs?" The child thought about it for a minute and said " Which one's shorter?"  His little face fell when the Mom told him that the words are both the same length so it didn't really matter. I couldn't help chuckling.

As the day ended and I was headed to my car for the journey home, another teacher kindly pointed out to me that the back of my pants were covered with yellow pollen! I guess when I sat down on a bench during recess, I forgot to brush off the pollen. How kind of him to tell me after carpool, lunch, and two conferences  were over. I guess I paraded around with the yellow imprint of a bench on my backside for half the day. Oh well, what do you expect from a kindergarten teacher!

22 comments

  1. Debbiedoos // April 7, 2010 at 9:29 PM  

    Well the pollen here is horrible! We have been on orange alert. My older boy is a mess, his eyes where almost glued shut that is how bad!~ Sorry you had to walk around with yellow on your pants all day...maybe it was not noticed lol!!~ Cute story about the bird poop!

  2. Adrienne // April 7, 2010 at 9:32 PM  

    Well we are having some pollen issues as well thankfully I am not allergic ...I love kids at that age they think up the best stuff ever!

  3. Anonymous // April 7, 2010 at 9:34 PM  

    It sounds like you had an interesting and event filled day!

  4. VKT // April 7, 2010 at 9:37 PM  

    Don't you just hate it Debbie.

  5. Life Is A SandCastle // April 7, 2010 at 9:37 PM  

    It has my head and ears feeling clogged up.

  6. VKT // April 7, 2010 at 9:38 PM  

    Don't they though Adrienne. Can you believe they were all searching the heavens for a giant bird? lol

  7. VKT // April 7, 2010 at 9:39 PM  

    It is never dull in Kindergarten Midday!

  8. VKT // April 7, 2010 at 9:39 PM  

    Me too Sandcastle! And to think I was walking around with the stuff on the back of my pants half the day...ewwww

  9. mrs. c // April 7, 2010 at 9:49 PM  

    I love the everday things that happen in the classroom. A child's prospective is amazing. We have Friday journals where the kids can draw whatever thy want and then we journal about the picture. As the year progresses it is amazing how these journals show growth. First it is "this is a dog. " this is my mom". Now it is a story with a beginning, middle, and end with a title. Some of my pre-ker's are even writing their won sentences with invented spelling, of course. This also ties into the importance of listening...thanks for visiting my post, i feel we are "sisters" !

  10. VKT // April 7, 2010 at 10:10 PM  

    Wow Mrs. C!

    That is terrific! I hope you get plenty of rest and your knee continues to heal nicely.

  11. Theresa Milstein // April 8, 2010 at 6:14 AM  

    I like that the kids were more likely to believe that there was a giant bird hovering over the school than there was a chance that you joined the circus.

    My son would've looked for the shorter word too! He's still like that in fifth-grade. If it's a 3-paragraph minimum assignment, guess how much he writes...

    Hope the pollen doesn't bother your nose, eyes, or pants today.

  12. VKT // April 8, 2010 at 7:40 AM  

    Theresa,

    I am as bad as the kids....runny nose, watery eyes, ewwwwwwwww.

  13. Shell // April 8, 2010 at 8:41 AM  

    LOL @ the bird poop and at the child who was disappointed that the words were the same length.

    The pollen is absolutely horrible right now. I can barely breathe.

  14. The Old White Barn // April 8, 2010 at 8:41 AM  

    I always enjoy your stories of the day - I can picture you, and the kids! Thanks for sharing about the pollen mess. Seems everyone is struggling with it - although this is the first time I thought about pollen mixed with mud as giant bird poop!
    Susan

  15. yonca // April 8, 2010 at 9:26 AM  

    My hubby has pollen allergy, then I know how it is.

  16. VKT // April 8, 2010 at 9:55 AM  

    Shell,

    I literally had to pry my eyes open this morning....Yuck!!!!!!!!!

  17. VKT // April 8, 2010 at 9:56 AM  

    Lol Susan,

    That is a new one for me too! I will have to take a picture of the window to show everybody....too funny these little people!

  18. VKT // April 8, 2010 at 9:56 AM  

    Isn't it awful Yonca!!!!

  19. Kelly // April 8, 2010 at 7:00 PM  

    This is the first time I've ever had a reaction to pollen. It's driving me crazy, and I would never wish this on anyone! Pollen, go away already.

  20. VKT // April 8, 2010 at 10:12 PM  

    Me too Kelly. Isn't it awful this year!

  21. Kat // April 9, 2010 at 2:10 AM  

    I feel like pollen has started so much earlier this year! or maybe I'm just not ready for it to be here... =) thats too cute how he said which one is shorter? lol

  22. Unknown // April 9, 2010 at 3:20 PM  

    I can always kiss my sinuses goodbye this time of year. That is hilarious about the giant bird - never a dull moment :D Have a great weekend!!