It is hard to believe that we only have about seven more weeks of school this year. Time flies when you are having fun. I remember one year when the school year was drawing to a close. It was the last day of school and one of my little charges came up to give me one last hug. I told her that she was going to have so much fun the next year in first grade and that she would absolutely love her new teacher. She smiled at me and started for the door, then turned and said "But I will still love you!" She wanted me to know that no matter who else was there, I would still have a space in her little heart. 

I passed her jogging in her neighborhood while I was driving home from school today. I guess that is what made me remember her last day in kindergarten. She is a beautiful young woman in high school now. I  waved and pulled over to say hi. I rolled down the window and she shared her latest news with me about how she is doing in school and how much she still thinks fondly of her year in kindergarten. As I wished her well and started to roll my window up to pull away, she said "I will never forget you Mrs. B!". I thought about her words all the way home. They reminded me of how God loves me among the millions of other people that He has to attend to, even with all of my faults. I can always rest in the assurance of His love for me in the  shape of the Cross that His son died on for me. Easter Sunday has come and gone but God will never leave us.

Because you are precious in my eyes, and honored, and I love you...Isaiah 43:4

30 comments

  1. Ms. A // April 6, 2010 at 9:59 PM  

    Tried to tell my son this very thing, today. He's always there. Thank goodness.

  2. Tracie // April 6, 2010 at 10:24 PM  

    What a beautiful way to illustrate the scope of God's love for us.

    Also, I have to say that every kid deserves to have special teachers. It's a calling - not just a job.

  3. Adrienne // April 6, 2010 at 11:24 PM  

    this is wonderful ...I loved my dear sweet Kindergarten teacher...she passed last year and for the 35 years she taught in our small town she must have certainly made and impact.. Her services had to be held at the football stadium. I hope that someone has that kind of impact on my son

  4. Heather // April 6, 2010 at 11:31 PM  

    That is so wonderful! :)

  5. Jill // April 7, 2010 at 2:49 AM  

    Lovely post

    Hugs RosieP x

  6. Theresa Milstein // April 7, 2010 at 6:09 AM  

    How wonderful that you made (and continue to make) such an impact on your students. Your class must be magical.

  7. Genny // April 7, 2010 at 10:11 AM  

    What sweet words from her! This was so beautiful. And I love that verse from Isaiah!

  8. Anne // April 7, 2010 at 10:12 AM  

    We're sad that the end of the school year is fast approaching! K-garten has been so great!!

  9. Anne // April 7, 2010 at 11:13 AM  

    What a wonderful feeling that must have been to have that student remember you after all the years! Those are surely one of the rewards of teaching.

  10. XmasDolly // April 7, 2010 at 12:01 PM  

    Awww How sweet! Guess the teacher got a gold star this time, huh? Thanks for sharing, and for stopping by! Have a great day!

  11. Meg // April 7, 2010 at 1:56 PM  

    Aww! That is so very sweet! It gave me goose bumps! Love this post!

    Meg

  12. VKT // April 7, 2010 at 4:50 PM  

    Ms. A,

    You are a lucky Mom! Sounds like your son is very dependable and caring! I hope you had a great day. It's conference time here at school so I have been really busy.

  13. Maude Lynn // April 7, 2010 at 7:01 PM  

    That is so lovely!

  14. Kyrstin // April 7, 2010 at 7:34 PM  

    How wonderful! Great teachers really do make a lasting impression on those that they teach!

  15. VKT // April 7, 2010 at 7:52 PM  

    Yes, it definitely is Anne. It's funny to see my students grown up when I keep picturing them as little kindergartners.

  16. VKT // April 7, 2010 at 7:53 PM  

    Thanks for your comment Dolly. My students are all stars in my book!

  17. VKT // April 7, 2010 at 7:54 PM  

    Thanks Meg. Glad you liked it.

  18. VKT // April 7, 2010 at 7:54 PM  

    Thanks Mama Zen!

  19. VKT // April 7, 2010 at 7:55 PM  

    Hopefully, all teachers want to make a good impression on their students Krystin. Thanks for commenting.

  20. VKT // April 7, 2010 at 8:10 PM  

    Tracie,

    I am glad its my calling then. I love going to work every day!

  21. VKT // April 7, 2010 at 8:12 PM  

    Ah Adrienne,

    I am sure your kindergarten teacher was smiling down from Heaven that day!

  22. VKT // April 7, 2010 at 8:12 PM  

    Thanks Heather and thanks for stopping by!

  23. VKT // April 7, 2010 at 8:12 PM  

    I am glad you liked it Rosie!

  24. VKT // April 7, 2010 at 8:13 PM  

    You are too kind Theresa!

  25. VKT // April 7, 2010 at 8:13 PM  

    I love that verse too Genny!

  26. VKT // April 7, 2010 at 8:14 PM  

    It definitely is rewarding Anne, no doubt about it. I hope you had a great day my blogging friend.

  27. Cinnamon Hollow // April 7, 2010 at 9:02 PM  

    This is such a heartwarming story! Our first teachers set the stage for us and having a fun, friendly atmosphere goes a long way towards enjoying the rest of our school "career". It sounds like your student had a great start! :0)
    God bless!
    Crystal

  28. VKT // April 7, 2010 at 9:09 PM  

    Thanks Crystal! That's my goal!

  29. Messy Mommy // April 8, 2010 at 11:02 AM  

    How precious. I am applying for a kindergarten position next school year. Any advice? :)

  30. VKT // April 8, 2010 at 11:41 AM  

    I am so excited for you. I would love to help you in any way I can. Just let me know.