I distinctly remember the year that the movie The Lion King came out. Students got Happy Meal mini stuffed animals, books, toys and any other likenesses to one of the characters in the movie that they could get their hands on. One child decided he didn't need any of those!

It was the first time ever for the children to be introduced to the Physical Education teacher as another school year began. I took my students to PE, introduced the children to their coach, and told them I would be back soon to get them.  I started down the hall toward my classroom when I heard the coach bellow my name and ask for help. 

I went back into the gym to hear her tell one child "What is your name?" He calmly replied "Cimba!" She said again "What is your name?" with a little less patience. He again replied Cimba but added a little roar. I could see her face turning red so I calmly walked over to him and said "Tell her your name". He replied "Cimba".
 I said " Tell her your real name" and he did as the coach rolled her eyes in disgust. "He was just being a five year old and wasn't really trying to be defiant." I whispered to her.

I had to chuckle as I again walked back to my classroom. That is the only year I can recall that Cimba came to visit Kindergarten!

20 comments

  1. Jill // March 7, 2010 at 1:12 PM  

    Typical 5 year old, funny story.

    Hugs RosieP x

  2. VKT // March 7, 2010 at 1:14 PM  

    It is, isn't it Rosie!

  3. ellen // March 7, 2010 at 1:42 PM  

    It is very funny, he did that roar! :-) This child probably became a stand up comedian? :-)

  4. Anne // March 7, 2010 at 1:54 PM  

    Very cute! Typical of a five year old. The things that come out of their mouths are so priceless! You never know what to expect.

  5. Theresa Milstein // March 7, 2010 at 2:08 PM  

    There's something about gym that unleashes many kindergarten children's inner Climba!

  6. VKT // March 7, 2010 at 3:50 PM  

    Lol Ellen! He should be out of college by now so who knows!!

  7. VKT // March 7, 2010 at 3:52 PM  

    Choices,

    I think it was the roaring that got to the PE teacher. I waited to get out of the gym before I started to laugh. Little kids are so funny.

  8. VKT // March 7, 2010 at 3:53 PM  

    Lol Theresa,

    Maybe that is what did it. Too funny!

  9. Cynthia // March 7, 2010 at 7:01 PM  

    I think maybe the five year old has a better sense of humor than the PE teacher. Love your teacher stories.

    Hope you are feeling better and will Keep On Dancing with us.

  10. VKT // March 7, 2010 at 7:40 PM  

    Thanks Cynthia!!!

  11. McMGrad89 // March 7, 2010 at 9:02 PM  

    Typical, for sure. My brother, who is now 37, told his Kindergarten Sunday School teacher his name was John. I guess he was tired of having the beautiful name of Andre that my mother so lovingly picked for him. Also, each Sunday, he would tell his teacher that it was his birthday. :-)

    PS - Thanks for stopping by my blog.

  12. VKT // March 7, 2010 at 9:18 PM  

    That is hilarious! Your brother must be quite a character!

  13. Martha's Favorites // March 7, 2010 at 9:23 PM  

    How cute! This story is so sweet thanks for sharing it. Blessings, Martha

  14. VKT // March 7, 2010 at 9:43 PM  

    Blessings to you as well Martha!

  15. Missy | Literal Mom // March 7, 2010 at 9:59 PM  

    My Oldest insisted on being Pochahontas for a time, costume and all. She even wore a name tag to a birthday party so everyone would "know." Kids being kids, they all insisted on calling her by her real name and the more upset she got, the more they insisted.

    She also went through a time of being Miranda, but I convinced her to "be Miranda" at home after the birthday debacle. :)

  16. VKT // March 7, 2010 at 10:12 PM  

    Awwwwwww Missy! Bless her little heart.

  17. Debbie // March 7, 2010 at 11:01 PM  

    seems like you have a great perspective on your little guys. As a preschool teachers I SO get this story!!:)

  18. AiringMyLaundry // March 7, 2010 at 11:49 PM  

    That is so cute.

  19. VKT // March 8, 2010 at 7:33 AM  

    Don't you just love them Debbie!!!

  20. VKT // March 8, 2010 at 7:34 AM  

    It was Whispering! Thanks for stopping by!