I have often had the pleasure of teaching more than one child in the same family. Once year I remember a little girl saying that she could not wait until we had show and tell that day. When the time for show and tell finally rolled around, she proudly got up in front of the class and announced that she had something to tell. With a big smile on her face, she looked over at me and said "I have known Mrs. B since she was BORN!!!" My assistant and I broke out in laughter until we realized that this sensitive little girl looked hurt. I had to explain to her that we were not laughing at her at all but at what she had said. Once she understood, she brightened up and enjoyed the rest of her day!

10 comments

  1. ellen // February 9, 2010 at 8:07 PM  

    You really know how to tell small stories so good. It is so funny, when a little kid says: My whole life! btw I passed that award to you also :-)

  2. Theresa Milstein // February 9, 2010 at 8:30 PM  

    That story reminds me of the picture book, When I was Little: A Four-Year-Old's Memoir of her Youth. I guess it's all perspective!

  3. Multibrand // February 9, 2010 at 8:37 PM  

    Hello friend,
    Thank you for following my blog on Google.
    I am now following your wonderful blog too.
    Let's keep in touch.

  4. veterankindergartenteacher // February 9, 2010 at 8:48 PM  

    Wow Ellen! Thanks! That went right over my head! See why I teach little people....lol

  5. VKT // February 9, 2010 at 8:55 PM  

    Theresa,

    Thanks for stopping in and reading my blog. I just read yours. I surely could have used a substitute today...sigh. My assistant was out...but...my kids were terrific!

  6. Unknown // February 9, 2010 at 9:23 PM  

    Lovely little story. Ah, the good old days of show and tell!

    Avery

  7. clamzee // February 10, 2010 at 12:41 PM  

    Little kids can say the funniest things. My daughter is still 2 but she already knows how to make me laugh for hours.

  8. VKT // February 10, 2010 at 1:42 PM  

    I bet she does clamzee! Thanks for reading. L Avery, thanks for stopping in. I haven't had a chance to read yours yet today.

  9. Lita C. Malicdem // February 11, 2010 at 5:05 PM  

    Show and tell! It was such the best instrument to befriend those kids. I used to do what the little girl did, like "You are John's youngest smart brother, right? I know how you enjoyed you recent birthday party." etc.

    And how the kids love to hear their life's stories from me, too.

    This is a great sharing, Thanks for dropping by my blog.

  10. VKT // February 12, 2010 at 10:22 PM  

    Thanks for dropping by mine as well Lita!