I have a bad habit of getting easily distracted when my little charges enter the classroom each morning. They will be handing me folders, asking questions, sharing some important tidbit of news that I HAVE to know right that moment, or making sure that I see their show and tell for the day; all at the same time.

I remember one morning about fifteen years ago when  this morning routine  took a very unusual turn. I was so intent on making sure that I was counting each child as I took attendance, that I wasn't really paying attention to what one student was asking me. He stood beside me asking if he could show me his show and tell for the day. Without looking up from my attendance book, I said sure and kept focusing on checking the roll. The next thing I knew, kids were screaming and  bugs were hopping all over me. I looked up in shock, slack jawed, only to have a cricket fly in my mouth. It startled me so much that  I fell off my low rolling stool trying to swat them off of me while I spit  out what I could of the lone critter who was trying to make its way down my throat. Lets just say that I hope I never have the pleasure of tasting one of those crunchy little critters again.

If I had paid attention, I would have seen that the child was tugging at the lid as he asked me if he could show me his bucket of crickets. I am talking about a bucket the size that fried chicken comes in. His dad was an avid fisherman and had bought a bucket for him at a local fishing shack the day before so that he could bring them in for show and tell.

By that time, other teachers and parents were making their way to my door to see what all of the commotion was about.Within minutes, they were joined by my assistant who had been on bus duty and the Assistant Principal! They all rushed in to the sight of kids  running around  screaming and me sitting on the floor swatting bugs. What a way to start the day!

I am happy to say that not only did we get to hear them chirp that morning as the fisherman dad hoped, but they continued chirping for months. Crickets are very good at hiding in nooks and crannies!

Wouldn't you think that I would have learned my lesson about too much early morning multi-tasking after that particular day? Not I  responded the kindergarten teacher!

34 comments

  1. Kelly Miller // May 1, 2010 at 11:38 PM  

    You would've loved my sister. One day she filled her purse with bullfrogs, only they died on the way to school. The teacher started smelling them on Day 3 ... bc my sister forgot she had even carried a purse that day. Too funny!

  2. VKT // May 1, 2010 at 11:52 PM  

    She sounds like a hoot Kelly. I have no doubt that I would have loved her. She probably meant to save them for her show and tell that week.

    BTW, your children are adorable!!!

  3. Debbie // May 1, 2010 at 11:53 PM  

    what a great post!! boys and their bugs....:)

  4. Brenda Susan // May 2, 2010 at 12:37 AM  

    Ok this memory of yours is more like a nightmare to me! I absolutely hate crickets, I am getting the heeby jeebies right now & will blame you if I am unable to sleep tonight!

  5. Kate Pantier @ Mommy Monologues // May 2, 2010 at 12:45 AM  

    You are a brave woman to be a kindergarten teacher! Don't think I could do it! Thanks for stopping by Mommy Monologues!

  6. Adrienne // May 2, 2010 at 1:49 AM  

    That is just crazy...why do little boys and sometimes girls think bugs are toys...ewwwe and yes what a way to start a day

  7. Ms. A // May 2, 2010 at 2:08 AM  

    Think I'd prefer crickets, to poop, pee and vomit... or snakes.

  8. jayayceeblog // May 2, 2010 at 2:16 AM  

    No kidding ... teachers are soooooo under paid!!!

  9. Teachinfourth // May 2, 2010 at 3:08 AM  

    You know, even at 5th grade, they still come up to share and talk first thing in the morning when I'm only half listening. Your little story makes me want to listen just a bit more intently; just in case.

  10. Jill // May 2, 2010 at 4:13 AM  

    Very funny story, I can just picture the scene.

    Hugs RosieP x

  11. Unknown // May 2, 2010 at 6:56 AM  

    Mornings are so crazy hectic in the morning. Just trying to take attendance, check homework, and field stories and requests from over eager children is enough to warrant a nap. Throw in a bucket full of crickets and I'm calling for a mental health day!

  12. Lauri // May 2, 2010 at 7:54 AM  

    That is too funny!! YUCK!!! A lesson we can all learn from.

  13. Anne // May 2, 2010 at 8:34 AM  

    When my son was in elementary school, he had a lizard called Swift. The lizard ate crickets. I didn't want to touch them, feed this little critter or have it get lost and jump around the house. So, we got a special cricket box, with a stick in it and the crickets cling to it and there never were any crickets anywhere else except near Swift.

  14. One Photo // May 2, 2010 at 9:42 AM  

    OMG! I never imagined life as a kindergarten teacher could be quite so dramatic, adventurous and more. Love reading your stories and this one had me laughing from the moment the cricket tried to make its way down your throat!

  15. He & Me + 3 // May 2, 2010 at 10:04 AM  

    OMGoodness that is too funny and that chirping must have been so annoying. LOL They do hide well.

  16. Anonymous // May 2, 2010 at 10:52 AM  

    We had the same kind of thing happen at daycare, one of the kids bought in their pet frog and some crickets to feed it.
    One of the other kids got hold of the box of crickets and started shaking it asking "what's this?".
    Before we knew live crickets were flying out of the box all over the room, thankfully there weren't too many.

  17. Priya Parmar // May 2, 2010 at 11:14 AM  

    you sound like just the most wonderful teacher!

  18. Tracie // May 2, 2010 at 12:15 PM  

    Ooooh!!! I don't think I could have worked the rest of the day or week or year after that happened!!

  19. Robin // May 2, 2010 at 5:36 PM  

    A cricket in the mouth.... well, that is something you will NEVER forget!!!

  20. Peggy // May 2, 2010 at 5:43 PM  

    They should make a tv show about all these fun stories! We need more "good" humor on our television sets.

  21. Bossy Betty // May 2, 2010 at 5:48 PM  

    Yikes! Sometimes I find myself half-listening to my students. This has led to some misunderstandings, but never a bucket of crickets unleashed!

  22. Leslie {Goodbye, house. Hello, home!} // May 2, 2010 at 7:04 PM  

    A cricket- in your mouth!?!? Ew!
    it sounds like a scene from a movie!
    My older daughter- second week of college, had a cricket stuck in her room. Kept her awake for a few nights. She finally caught him, was about to take him outside, only to have a friend want "look at him", he jumped out and three more sleepless nights!
    (we're supposing he finally died or "bugged" someone else's room)!
    Crickets are very noisy, LOL!
    This was a funny story- one you'll (and now I'll) never forget!
    I can't wait for you to tell us more of your adventures!
    Hugs to you and blessings as you teach!
    Thanks for coming by my home- I love your visits :)

  23. Hills N Valleys // May 2, 2010 at 7:53 PM  

    Oh that is so funny yet so awful at the same time!!! auuuuggh!

  24. Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com // May 2, 2010 at 9:01 PM  

    What a memorable show and tell moment. I find it tragically hilarious.
    Cheers,
    Robyn

  25. Marlene // May 3, 2010 at 1:38 AM  

    I'm sorry. I giggled out loud. I wasn't supposed to, was I? Heehee!!

  26. Debbiedoos // May 4, 2010 at 10:07 PM  

    OMG a cricket? YUK! Be careful on show and tell day. Don't they tell the kids no bugs allowed? Or pets for that matter? I had some catching up to do over here...so sorry I have been super busy answering my comments...whew takes time!

  27. VKT // May 16, 2010 at 6:51 PM  

    Thanks Debbie)))))))))

  28. VKT // May 16, 2010 at 6:52 PM  

    Lol Brenda Susan,

    I hope you don't count crickets instead of sheep when you are trying to get to sleep.

  29. VKT // May 16, 2010 at 6:55 PM  

    Kate,

    I love teaching kindergarten, absolutely love it!!!

  30. VKT // May 16, 2010 at 6:56 PM  

    Adrienne,

    Because they are little boys and girls...lol

  31. VKT // May 16, 2010 at 6:56 PM  

    I will remember that at Christmas Ms. A.

  32. VKT // May 16, 2010 at 6:57 PM  

    Jay,

    At least we have a job. That is saying something in this economy!

  33. VKT // May 16, 2010 at 6:57 PM  

    I want one too Eclipsed!

  34. VKT // May 16, 2010 at 6:58 PM  

    Thanks Lauri!