How do you identify a good teacher? How does a teacher make a difference in a student's life? I looked for the answers to these questions through famous quotes.



The greatest sign of success for a teacher is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
-Marie Montessori


It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and
knowledge.
-Albert Einstein

The best that the great teachers can do for us is to help us to discover what is
already present in ourselves.
-Irving Babbitt

In teaching others we teach ourselves.
-Anonymous

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.
-William Arthur Ward

A teacher's purpose is not to create students in his own image, but to develop students who can create their own image.
-Anonymous

They may forget what you said but they will never forget how you made them feel.
-Carol Buchner

A teacher affects eternity, he can never tell where his influence stops.
-Henry Brooke Adams

One looks back with appreciation to the brilliant teachers, but with gratitude to those who touched our human feelings. The curriculum is so much necessary raw material, but warmth is the vital element for the growing plant and for the soul of the child.
-Carl Jung

A teacher is one who makes himself progressively unnecessary.
-Thomas Carruthers

A teacher who is attempting to teach without inspiring the pupil with a desire to learn is hammering on cold iron.
-Horace Mann



And then there are famous quotes about not so good teachers......

Good teachers are costly, but bad teachers cost more.
-Bob Talbert

If you think your teacher is tough, wait until you get a boss. He doesn't have tenure.
-Bill Gates

A child miseducated is a child lost.
-John F. Kennedy

And then there are quotes that are just downright funny............




Smartness runs in my family. When I went to school I was so smart my teacher was in my class for five years.
-Gracie Allen

As long as teachers give tests, there will be prayer in schools.
-Anonymous


Do you remember your favorite teacher? What makes him or her stand out in your mind?

37 comments

  1. gayle // March 14, 2010 at 2:35 PM  

    You know it is funny but I don't really remember a favorite teacher. I loved my 11th grade English teacher because she let us write a lot! Now adays it is hard to be a "wonderful" teacher...at least where I live. Our teachers are told what to do and how to teach every minute of the day.

  2. VKT // March 14, 2010 at 2:40 PM  

    Gayle,

    I am telling you. You need to come to my school. You would love it!

  3. Anne // March 14, 2010 at 2:58 PM  

    Great quotes and Oh! so true. I had some really good teachers who made me thing I would like to become a teacher, but it was the bad ones that inpired me to teach. I wanted to do things differently. I did and I do. Stop by my blog. I think you might like what you see.

  4. VKT // March 14, 2010 at 3:05 PM  

    I already did Anne. I am so glad you posted your techniques sweet lady!

    Isn't it sad that you had to be inspired by the bad ones.

  5. Theresa Milstein // March 14, 2010 at 3:16 PM  

    What a nice compilation of quotes. Teacher need a little inspiration now and again.

    I hope you had fun last night!

  6. Andrea // March 14, 2010 at 4:04 PM  

    Thank you for the precious quotes and for leaving such sweet comments on my blogs.
    Hugs,
    andrea

  7. TheSmellyArmpit // March 14, 2010 at 4:15 PM  

    Oh what a great post! I really like the quote from your post...
    They may forget what you said but they will never forget how you made them feel.
    -Carol Buchner

    So true! I can remember my favorite teacher in college. We had totally conflicting views on politics and religion but it was so great to be respected and be able to just have a conversation about what we believed regardless. I still respect and admire that teacher to this day.

  8. Mandee // March 14, 2010 at 5:59 PM  

    Thanks for stopping by my blog http://raisingmy4sons.com
    I am following you now! :)

  9. Missy | Literal Mom // March 14, 2010 at 6:19 PM  

    Love that Montessori one!!!

  10. LouAnneL // March 14, 2010 at 6:28 PM  

    Love it! The Marie Montessori quote is my favorite!

    I had some wonderful teachers when I was in school. There was one dear teacher in elementary school who seemed to really care for her students. My goal was to remain invisible; her goal was to not allow it! :-)

    I'll never forget her!

  11. carissa // March 14, 2010 at 6:46 PM  

    i have a favorite teacher - actually a few of them! it's amazing the difference a good teacher makes. i know you must be a fabulous teacher - i can just tell!

  12. Brenda Susan // March 14, 2010 at 6:51 PM  

    What a wonderful collection of 'Teacher' quotes! I am going to save them. I love your happy & inspiring blog so much!

  13. VKT // March 14, 2010 at 7:08 PM  

    Thanks Theresa,

    I had a great time! Glad you enjoyed the quotes.

  14. VKT // March 14, 2010 at 7:09 PM  

    You are so welcome Andrea! You are a precious lady!

  15. VKT // March 14, 2010 at 7:10 PM  

    Magee,

    That would be music to your college professors ears. Perhaps you can let him or her know sometime? I bet it would make someone's day!

  16. VKT // March 14, 2010 at 7:10 PM  

    Thanks Momma Such!

  17. VKT // March 14, 2010 at 7:11 PM  

    Me too Missy!

  18. VKT // March 14, 2010 at 7:13 PM  

    Carissa,

    I love working with young children! Thanks!

  19. VKT // March 14, 2010 at 7:15 PM  

    I am so glad she didn't LouAnne! I like the Montessori quote a lot myself.

  20. VKT // March 14, 2010 at 7:16 PM  

    Brenda Susan,

    You just made my day! Thanks so much for the kind words!

  21. Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey // March 14, 2010 at 9:19 PM  

    Those are some great quotes.

    I've been lucky with my kids teachers.So far we had more good teachers then bad.

  22. VKT // March 14, 2010 at 9:51 PM  

    Glad to hear it Ms Bibi!

  23. Anonymous // March 15, 2010 at 12:15 AM  

    You know, I have two sisters that teach, so I'm going to send them your website. It looks like there is a bunch of great content on here :)

    Cheers.

  24. VKT // March 15, 2010 at 7:43 AM  

    Alicia,

    That one definitely belongs on the list. Thanks so much for sharing.

  25. VKT // March 15, 2010 at 7:44 AM  

    Thanks Marty,

    Glad you stopped by!

    Blessings!

  26. Stacey // March 15, 2010 at 11:52 AM  

    So you are not looking at my other blog with the same thoughts as me today?? Sorry. But you sure are making others smile! And what you did this morning showed a reflection of JESUS! So thanks for reflecting some Light into somebody else's light. You will be blessed. See this day is not even close to over yet!

  27. VKT // March 15, 2010 at 12:27 PM  

    Stacey,

    I have ahem been a bit preoccupied in the restroom this morning. I will be sure to check it soon though!

  28. AMS // March 15, 2010 at 3:36 PM  

    Wow, I love what you did with this site!

  29. VKT // March 15, 2010 at 4:04 PM  

    Thanks Anne Marie! Rakesh at Blog Solutions helped me set it up. A friend mentioned to me that she follows me on twitter. I don't even know how to use twitter....ack. Rakesh did all of it.

  30. Sienna // March 15, 2010 at 7:21 PM  

    Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving such a sweet comment! I am a teacher too and I cannot wait to read your blog! It looks awesome.

  31. VKT // March 15, 2010 at 8:27 PM  

    Thanks a bunch keep it cooking!

  32. Unknown // March 19, 2010 at 4:58 PM  

    I love the quote, "In teaching others, we teach ourselves" - so true!

    The teacher who made the biggest impact in my life was my 6th grade English teacher, who first told me I would one day become a writer. How did she know? I love her!

  33. VKT // March 19, 2010 at 5:27 PM  

    Rene,

    I have no doubt that she remembers you as well.

  34. Barbra The Bloggess // March 19, 2010 at 8:54 PM  

    Quotes are my thing...I just don't blog without them. It's my bling!

  35. Kelly // March 19, 2010 at 9:43 PM  

    I love good teaching quotes. My favorite teacher was my high school drama teacher. She would tell me how proud she was of me. It really meant a lot.

  36. VKT // March 23, 2010 at 7:28 PM  

    Glad to hear it Barbara! I hope you are having a great week.

  37. VKT // March 23, 2010 at 7:28 PM  

    Kelly,

    I can understand why from reading your blog. You are a very special lady!