Tonight I had dinner with two of my good friends Karen and Wendy! Karen's birthday was last week so Wendy and I took her out for a belated birthday celebration. You can't find two sweeter or funnier people on the planet if you tried...well, maybe except me! Kiddddddddding! We laughed so much tonight that our sides ached. I told Wendy that I hadn't posted anything on my blog today because I had been so busy with school as well as after school committee meetings. She suggested I go home and look through some old class pictures to jog a memory stuck somewhere in my brain. It worked! Thanks Wendy, you sweetie pie you!

One Spring I took a class outside to read a story in the school courtyard.  It was a beautiful spring day and we wanted to take advantage of the sunshine after lunch. The  courtyard was surrounded by buildings on both sides and had a lovely grassy area located in its center. I sat down to read to my class who had nestled around me eager to hear the story. Within five seconds  I jumped up yelling! When I say yelling, I am not exaggerating. It bordered on screaming.  Evidently, the place where I chose to plop down in the grass also happened to be in close proximity to the same spot where some yellow jackets had made a nest in the ground. I scared the children and not knowing why I was  yelling, they jumped up screaming. Unfortunately, one little girl was as unlucky as I was. She got stung three times on her legs. I got stung multiple times. This particular courtyard spot was located close to the Principal's office. Since his office windows faced the courtyard, he got a great view of a teacher and  her screaming students running in all directions. He hurried  outside among all the mayhem to see what all the ruckus was about. Since each kindergarten class had outside doors that led to the courtyard, those teachers also came out to see what was going on. Lots of tiny little faces wearing curious expressions could be seen peeking around each teacher. That's what I was told anyway. All I could think about was how much pain I was in.  It took over a week before I could sit comfortably again! Need I say more? 

I still read stories outside but now I always take a kindergarten size chair with me ! Yellow jackets  do not take kindly to sharing their territory, even with kindergarten teachers! I speak from first hand experience. Well, you know what I mean!

25 comments

  1. Debbiedoos // March 16, 2010 at 11:06 PM  

    Ouch and double ouch! I have only been stung once in my life. Now those red ants love to get me....and those hurt too!

  2. Andrea // March 16, 2010 at 11:16 PM  

    I got in a nest of bees a couple of years ago...I am much more careful, now.
    Hugs, andrea

  3. Velvet Over Steel // March 16, 2010 at 11:26 PM  

    Oh my.... that sounds terribly painful!! What a story though!
    I sitting in the grass in nice weather, so I sure will be more carefull now!
    Have a safe and fun St. Patty's day!
    Hugs,
    Coreen

  4. Heather // March 17, 2010 at 8:19 AM  

    I can still remember the little courtyard outside of my third-grade class. If we were well-behaved, got our work done early, and earned enough stickers on our chart, we could go out to the courtyard and play while the other kids were working. I loved taking a book out to the benches and would read the whole time.

    Lucky for me there were benches, huh?

    You poor thing. I'm sure every one of those kids still remembers that day!

  5. Joanne // March 17, 2010 at 8:36 AM  

    Is there anything more relaxing than sitting outside on a warm Spring day, book in lap, a little daydreaming, a little reading? But I think I'll stay on my deck chair this Spring ;)

  6. Anne // March 17, 2010 at 9:06 AM  

    That is quite a story. I am sure all those children remember that day and have told that story many times. What a memory! As for you, lesson learned-Always carry a chair when going outside to read.
    Happy St. Patricks Day!

  7. Theresa Milstein // March 17, 2010 at 10:54 AM  

    Oh no! Your poor thing!

    When I was an assistant, on warm, spring days, I sometimes took the student out to teach a lesson, but we sat in the cement area. If I ever choose grass in the future, I'll remember your story.

    I mentioned your blog in yesterday's post - check it out.

  8. ellen // March 17, 2010 at 11:10 AM  

    My goodness, what a shock it must have given you and the children.

  9. Terri // March 17, 2010 at 11:13 AM  

    That sounds painful!!! I bet the kids where wondering what in the world! Another funny post that I love to read!!! Have a great day! ;)

  10. VKT // March 17, 2010 at 12:37 PM  

    Ouch and double ouch is right Debbie! Obviously I can't post the picture of my stings, but fifteen hurt!

  11. VKT // March 17, 2010 at 12:40 PM  

    Bless your heart Andrea. I'll bet given the right circumstances, bees can be just as ornery as yellow jackets.

  12. VKT // March 17, 2010 at 12:40 PM  

    Thanks Velvet! You too!

  13. VKT // March 17, 2010 at 12:41 PM  

    Heather,

    I would be surprised if they don't. I scared the daylights out of those poor children!

  14. VKT // March 17, 2010 at 12:43 PM  

    Lol Joanne, my sentiments exactly on that lovely spring day. I always check now to see if I see any yellow jackets coming out of the ground before I walk in the grass.

  15. VKT // March 17, 2010 at 12:44 PM  

    Ah Choices, I did learn my lesson! Ouch!

  16. VKT // March 17, 2010 at 12:45 PM  

    Theresa,

    Cement areas will be my location of choice in the future! Thanks for the tip!

  17. VKT // March 17, 2010 at 12:46 PM  

    It was definitely a shock Ellen. I didn't know I could move as fast as I did that day!

  18. VKT // March 17, 2010 at 12:46 PM  

    Thanks Terri! I hope you are having a great day!

  19. Brenda // March 17, 2010 at 8:32 PM  

    May I commend you for your bravery and heroic efforts during your time of suffering. The last time I tangled with a nest of yellow jackets I ended up screaming and disrobing in front of the whole neighborhood.

  20. Lynette // March 17, 2010 at 9:15 PM  

    Hi there - thanks for the birthday wishes for my girl!

    Yes, she attends NCSU - she's a sophomore this year majoring in Parks and Rec or something along those lines - she wants to be a basketball coach or the next Pat Summitt - her dream job!

    Thanks for the visit and ouch about your bee sting story -

  21. VKT // March 17, 2010 at 10:15 PM  

    Alicia,

    Now it's funny...then, not so funny! Ouch

  22. VKT // March 17, 2010 at 10:16 PM  

    Lol Brenda,

    That is hilarious!

  23. VKT // March 17, 2010 at 10:17 PM  

    Wow Lynette! My daughter goes there too!

  24. Kelly // March 19, 2010 at 10:10 PM  

    Oh my, that's horrible! And painful too.

  25. VKT // March 20, 2010 at 12:26 AM  

    I don't remember it fondly by any means Kelly!