At one point in the public school system I was working in, the Central Office decided to implement Spanish instruction in Kindergarten. The teacher that was hired for my school was a very kind gentleman from Portugal who had retired from a university position and wanted to work part-time.

I remember the very first time he came to my class. He sat down in my rocking chair and gathered all of the children around him. He explained that he was going to be teaching them to speak Spanish and would be in our classroom once a week. He asked the children if anyone in the class knew any Spanish. One little tow headed blonde raised his hand and exclaimed "D.... does! He's from China!" The poor man looked so perplexed that he didn't know what to say. My assistant and I had to turn our heads so that the class would not see us laughing. Out of the mouths of babes......

2 comments

  1. Anonymous // February 10, 2010 at 11:00 PM  

    the tow headed blonde is now taking Spanish in middle school...:)

  2. Betty // February 11, 2010 at 1:57 PM  

    I'm surprised they didn't all raise their hands.:)