About twelve years ago, I remember that some of the parents of my students brought in a birthday cake for my birthday. The children all sang happy birthday and when the children asked how old I was, I jokingly told them and the parents there that I was 21 again this year.

On Monday of the next week, one little girl in my classroom marched up to my desk as soon as she arrived. "You lied to me" she huffed. Surprised, I asked her what she meant. She indignantly replied "I went home and told my Mama that it was your 21st birthday and she said "Ain't no way that woman is 21!"

You'd think I would have learned my lesson; but not this kindergarten teacher. Six years later, I remember a similar birthday celebration. The parents again brought in a cake and sang happy birthday to me with the children. Again, I told the children when they asked my age that I was 21 again tthat year. One little girl sitting and enjoying her slice of cake turned to the child beside her and declared "That's amazing! Mrs. B is the same age as my Mamma. I guess my Mamma is older than I thought!"

These days if asked, I just say "no comment"!

4 comments

  1. Jen // February 14, 2010 at 9:54 AM  

    Thanks for writing on my blog! This post is really funny because I'm a high school teacher (to almost ALL boys) and I always say I'm OLDER than I am haha!

  2. Anonymous // February 14, 2010 at 1:43 PM  

    LOL. I wonder if that's where the Forever 21 store gets it's name.

    Happy Valentine's Day. I appreciate the comment at Holly's wedding post yesterday.

    Lynn

  3. Great-Granny Grandma // February 14, 2010 at 4:02 PM  

    Thanks for visiting my blog, and now I've followed you back to yours and am really enjoying reading the posts. Will be back soon to read some more.

  4. Trudy // February 18, 2010 at 11:42 PM  

    My grandson is a kindergartener this year. You can't slip anything by these children! But they are the cutest funniest creatures in the world--especially David, of course.