I can't emphasize to you enough how very special it is for a teacher to receive a note of thanks from a parent for a job well done. I treasure each and every one that I have ever received because to me they are more valuable than gold. When I go back and read one, memories of a particular school year flood back through my mind like a motion picture. The child and the mother who wrote the note below will always have a special place in my heart. The fact that she would take the time to write a note and thank me for my efforts means so much to me.


Letters from children are just as precious. I received this from a child twenty-six years ago when I was named Outstanding Educator in the State. This little boy is now a thirty-two year old man with a family.



The year I received this note was a very special year. I received flowers, cards and lots of special gifts to celebrate the award. My most memorable remembrance is not one I can post on here for you to see. It is a plastic wrapped mint one little boy gave me that year. I knew this child's home circumstances were very difficult but the thrill on his face every day as he entered the classroom will be forever stamped in my memory. He was like a little beam of sunlight. Although his clothes were worn and I often had to wash his face for him when he got to school, he had such a sweet precious spirit. He loved school and every Friday  he would wait at the door before he left holding out his arms to me for a big hug and saying "I love you". 

He was so proud of himself the morning that he came in and marched up to my desk announcing that he had a present for me. He held out his little hand and proudly placed the mint in my palm. I oohed and aah-ed and gave him a big bear hug. His grin spread across his little face as he told his little classmates to come and see what he had brought Mrs. B for her "A-ward!" I keep it nestled  with all of the letters, cards, etc. that I have collected over the years to help me remember him by. The red stripes on the mint are beginning to blur  and the white is mottled but my memories of this child are still fresh.

22 comments

  1. Bernie // February 28, 2010 at 9:37 PM  

    These letters are wonderful, it is so nice to know that your hard work was appreciated....:-) Hugs

  2. VKT // February 28, 2010 at 10:13 PM  

    Bernie,

    You are like a little sunbeam yourself. Your blog is wonderful and I am looking forward to your next post.

  3. Anonymous // March 1, 2010 at 8:15 AM  

    your post touch me, you still have all the things your students gave you after so many years! wow! that must be fun to look at everytime and maybe can make you teary eyed as well because of the memories along with it...my mistake I commented initially on the skinny clown post when that comment should be here....

  4. Stacey // March 1, 2010 at 8:19 AM  

    You could really write a book about the kids. I have one of those children, ha ha. But Ethan did tell me one day that his teacher was going to be out so he really didn't want to go to school without her being there. You make a difference! Thanks for sharing my blog too. We are here to help each other and pick each other up! Today my friend, I will pray for you!

  5. VKT // March 1, 2010 at 8:45 AM  

    Thank you mie! I would recommend that you keep little mementos of your students as well.

  6. VKT // March 1, 2010 at 8:46 AM  

    Awwww Stacey,

    Did you ever share that with Ethan's teacher? I imagine she would have enjoyed knowing that.

  7. Theresa Milstein // March 1, 2010 at 10:08 AM  

    This is just more proof that you're a remarkable teacher.

    The neglected ones always stay with me. I think it would even be harder if they'd been five instead of ten.

  8. VKT // March 1, 2010 at 10:49 AM  

    Theresa,

    I am finding you to be pretty remarkable yourself from reading your blog. You deserve your own classroom dear lady.

  9. Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey // March 1, 2010 at 11:44 AM  

    Those are so sweet and wonderful.

    My younger one is a note writer and he leaves little notes for his teacher, me and his dad. It's so sweet.

    My kids write little notes to their teachers every holiday and I think it's so special. It started with me telling them to do it and it turned into something they enjoy and it became little tradition.

  10. Angie // March 1, 2010 at 12:24 PM  

    Thanks for visiting my blog! I'm following yours too!

    Angie

  11. Unknown // March 1, 2010 at 12:59 PM  

    It is always nice to be reminded we're appreciated :)

  12. VKT // March 1, 2010 at 1:23 PM  

    That is wonderful Ms Bibi. I can tell you from experience that a teacher will appreciate that so much more than a mug or candy. Thanks for sharing.

  13. VKT // March 1, 2010 at 1:23 PM  

    Thanks Angie!

  14. VKT // March 1, 2010 at 1:24 PM  

    Rene,

    You are right! It is nice to be appreciated when you work hard. Have a great day!

  15. Anne // March 1, 2010 at 5:43 PM  

    Notes of appreciation are so special. That is our reward for doing are job. It sure is nice to be appreciated.

  16. Edie Parrott // March 1, 2010 at 5:59 PM  

    Beautiful!!!

  17. VKT // March 1, 2010 at 8:42 PM  

    Yes it is Choices! Thanks for your comment!

  18. VKT // March 1, 2010 at 8:42 PM  

    Thanks Edie!

  19. Ascending Butterfly // March 1, 2010 at 11:09 PM  

    I taught special ed in my church for awhile and still have all my momentos from students and pictures of each year's class and I treasure them too! Teachers never get the credit they richly deserve!

  20. May Be Miracles // March 2, 2010 at 1:04 AM  

    VKT,
    I think the thing that speaks volumes about how amazing a person and teacher you must be is that you get such wonderful letters...and mostly that you KEEP them...AND cherish them...AND remember the PEOPLE connected to them. It's one thing to keep a note because it makes you feel good...it's another thing to look at it and fondly remember the people connected to it. God bless you for being an inspiration to so many families over the years.

  21. VKT // March 2, 2010 at 12:21 PM  

    Tracy,

    In their own way they do. That silly mint still means so much to me because of the little angel that gave it to me. It helps me remember him. Thanks for your comment!

  22. VKT // March 2, 2010 at 12:22 PM  

    May,

    The blessing is that they have been just as much as an inspiration to me. God always knows where our road should take us, doesn't He.